Friday, January 7, 2011

Making the most of the time I am given....

Click on the player above to listen to "Stuck like Glue" by Sugarland.

The post title sums up just one of my several resolutions this year. The new year is a great time for self reflection and I seem to find myself doing a lot of it these days. I have always been a person that is continually looking forward...."4 years from now I'll be done with X", "6 years from now I'll be here or there". I like to think that this make me a "goal oriented" person but I've decided that too much of a good thing is a bad thing. If we spend our days constantly thinking about where we want to be, we easily forget to enjoy the things that we have right now. As a great author put it-

"It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live" -J.K. Rowling

As a geriatrician I see a lot of patients that are nearing the ends of their lives. Too many times I have heard someone say, "I wish I spent more time with my kids" or "I should have enjoyed my life more". I have resolved to slow down a bit and make everyday count. I will not take the simple things for granted anymore. I will make the most of everyday that I have because it is nothing less than a gift. I will be a little less materialistic and focus on the things that money can't buy, after all "I can't take it with me!"

Since Kenzie was born she has been sleeping in a bedside bassinet on my side of the bed. I have to confess that I really enjoyed having her sleeping close by so I could obsessively check on her throughout the night. Well, needless to say she has outgrown it! So this week marked a big occasion, she moved to her crib. I have to say that I was a little sad about it-just a reminder that time passes too quickly and she is growing up too fast. Here are a few pictures before getting ready for bed....


And we were all smiles when we woke up the next morning (after 10 straight hours of sleep mind you)

It looks like we will be getting some more snow here in Boston this weekend and from what I hear we are not alone. Looks like lots of folks back home in Mississippi will be getting snow too! 

Well here are a few more pictures of Kenzie to end this post. For those of you struggling to stick with your New Year's Resolutions, here is a great quote to keep you motivated-

"Be like a postage stamp. Stick to one thing until you get there."-Josh Billings




Ashley

2 comments:

  1. Way to go, Ashley, on letting go and letting Kenzie move to her crib. I understand how hard that it bc I am also trying to keep my babies, babies-- not wanting them to grow up too fast. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I really enjoy reading your posts! Keep them coming! I especially like this one! You had me in tears about how we think to much to the future and don't stop to enjoy what we have in the here and now. I need to do more of that. Kenzie is just beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete