Sunday, November 28, 2010

Time Really Does Fly

Well it is certainly hard to believe that Thanksgiving has come and gone. While we couldn't be home with our families this year, we were lucky to have Uncle Danny with us for several days. Danny had a bit of a cold but still got to hang out with Kenzie (from a distance of course). How many times do you think Danny heard, "did you wash your hands" this weekend? Here's Danny sneaking in on a Kenzie picture...looks like someone forgot to brush their hair after nap time! I'm talking about Danny of course!
Jennifer experimented with a few recipes this year including home made chocolate glazed donuts, that's right I said home made chocolate glazed donuts. Trust me, they were just as delicious as they look in this picture...
I already made Jen promise that she will make them again on Christmas!
I had to work on Thanksgiving day (and this weekend) which was not fun but look what was waiting for me when I got home. Our meal was fantastic!
 Kenzie was not left out of Thanksgiving dinner either. She had her own homemade sweet potato.
 Hey Kenzie....you've got a little something around your mouth there.....
 The remains of the sweet potato after being destroyed by Kenzie.....
 The toughest part about being away from home on Thanksgiving is not seeing your family. This is where I must give a HUGE thanks to the creators of Skype. Because of Skype we get to see our family and feel as though we are actually in their presence. Here you can see Kenzie and Honey taking an improvised Thanksgiving day picture together. I think Honey looks pretty good on a Mac considering she is 1200 miles away!!
 So I have been negotiating the commute to work without much difficulty. Sometimes I drive and sometimes I take public transportation. Now it is just getting really cold and walking outside is starting to get painful. Considering that all I have from home is essentially a wind breaker, I had to break down and buy a "real winter coat". As I understand before long I will also be wearing a scarf, hat, face shield, and gloves. So here I am in my coat. Frankly I feel more like a member of the Corleone mafia family than a physician when I wear it. And yes Jennifer must endure my best Marlon Brando Godfather quotes...."I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse..." every time I wear it.
So with the end of Thanksgiving comes the beginning of the Christmas season. In our chaotic move to Boston, we left our tree and ornaments back in our storage unit in Tupelo. We had to improvise with the "temporary" decorations seen below. It's amazing what you can get at CVS. I don't think we did too bad!

Kenzie is getting geared up for the season too. She is already trying on her Christmas bib!
This week reminded me of all the things that I have to be thankful for. Thanksgiving and Christmas are so commercialized now that we often forget the reason why we celebrate these holidays (I am often guilty of that). Really the more I think about it, everyday can be Thanksgiving, can't it? It is hard not to be thankful when you are looking at this!
Until next week,
Ashley

4 comments:

  1. Sure had a great time this weekend! I wish I didn't have that cold, but thankfully I'm feeling a little better now. The donuts were incredible. I can't wait for other people to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so very thankful for technology, but come Christmas, it will be reallife. Cannot wait till we are all together. PRICELESS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The donuts look delicious, and so does the meal! You definitely do have a lot to be thankful with that precious little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved looking at all the GREAT pics! I can't believe how fast that sweet baby is growing! :)

    ReplyDelete