Saturday, October 9, 2010

My Birthday Week!

Hard to believe that another year has passed. I can honestly say that 29 feels no different than 28. I guess that I should enjoy this last year before the big 3-0. It is funny though because I remember when 30 was OLD! Doesn't seem to be the case anymore-

Here is what welcomed me when I came home from work. Jen said that Kenzie helped a lot!

My birthday was wonderful and Jennifer surprised me with a night out on the town. We went to a Southern favorite, Ruth's Chris. Here's a picture of Jennifer and Kenzie before heading out-note the drool.

Ruth's Chris was started in New Orleans and is probably the best steak house that I have ever had the pleasure of dining at. Jen and I both had a steak that was fabulous and Kenzie was well behaved throughout dinner. You can't ask for more than that! Ruth's Chris is in a beautiful location in downtown Boston inside the Old City Hall. Here is a picture of the main entrance-
Old City Hall was built between 1862 and 1865. In 1969 the Boston city operations moved to their current location elsewhere in the city (in an unattractive modern building of course). The Old City Hall was converted to a business center with offices and restaurants. There is a statue of Benjamin Franklin in the front courtyard. Franklin was born in Boston and attended school on the site where Old City Hall stands today.

Here you can see a picture a picture of Old City Hall from 1868. You can see the statue of Benjamin Franklin in the lower left corner.

After we got back home, Jen had a surprise for me-a Tiramisu ice cream cake! Let's just say there was nothing left of it by bed time. Here you can see me and Kenzie admiring the cake-

And blowing out the candles....notice the extreme concentration on Kenzie's face!
I really like college football but am not a huge NFL fan. We decided that while we are in Boston we should see a New England Patriots game. So part of my Birthday gift (admittedly from myself) was two tickets to the Patriots vs. the Colts on 11/21. The tickets came in this week and now I am really excited. Everyone don't worry about Jennifer and Kenzie being cold-we will be sitting in Club level seats!

The rest of the week was pretty unremarkable. But we've been looking forward to seeing Danny and his fiance Ashley (yes the name thing is confusing). Future Aunt Ashley got here before Danny and got to visit with Kenzie before bedtime-

We were all pretty beat Saturday morning so everyone slept in. Kenzie and I have started a new tradition so we got up before everyone else. Every Saturday morning we spend a little quality time together. This morning we ventured out to buy some fall decorations for the apartment. Since we don't have a yard anymore we had to bring the decor inside. See below-
After Dunkin Donuts for lunch we decided to take the T to Cambridge to see Harvard. Here's Jen and Kenzie before we headed out-
Harvard is the oldest institution of higher education in the United States and was founded in 1636 by the gentleman seen below, John Harvard. Rumor has it that it's good luck to rub his left shoe. You can see the color change from thousands of hand rubs over the years. We elected not to-just too many germs!
Here are a few more pictures from campus-




I noticed this writing above the gate leaving campus- 
"DEPART TO SERVE BETTER THY COUNTRY AND THY KIND"
Another picture of the group before leaving campus-

One of my proudest achievements to date is getting comfortable with driving in Boston. After all, I am the guy who could get lost in Tupelo. I came upon some general rules for driving in Boston online and sadly most of them are true. If any of you want to come visit I will gladly take you for a spin!
Rules for Boston driving

1. It is traditional in Boston to honk your horn at cars that don't move the instant the light changes.
2. In making a left turn from the right lane, employ the element of surprise. That is, do it as suddenly as     possible, so as to stun other drivers.
3. Never, ever, stop for a pedestrian unless he flings himself under the wheels of your car.
4. Always look both ways when running a red light.
5. The first parking space you see will be the last parking space you see. Grab it.
6. Never get in the way of a car that needs extensive body work.
7. Taxicabs should always have the right of way, unless you are bent on suicide.
8. When in doubt, accelerate.

Well that just about wraps up another great week! From the video below you can see that we wore Kenzie out again. Don't you just hate that feeling when you are so tired that you can't stay awake even though you want to!


Now that is comfortable sleeping!

Talk to you next week!
Ashley

2 comments:

  1. Enjoyed reading the post. Hey, at Ruth's Chris, did they look at you funny like they did when we wore shorts and untucked shirts there last time? And did you get the lobster bisque? I'm never driving in Boston. You amaze me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, I thought Kenzie looked more like Jen, but I believe she has your eyes (looking at the candles picture)...oh and that cake looks AMAZING! Andrew is quite jealous of your club-level tickets!! You'll definitely have to blog about that!

    ReplyDelete